Thursday, April 23, 2015

Preparing for Medical Houseman Interview (gred UD41)

I am finally done with my interview :) I decided to write this entry on my interview to help those who stumble across this post to prepare for theirs. 
They called me up a week before to tell me that my interview was the coming Friday. The first week that I was back i spent settling the paperworks needed for the interview and also reading up for it. I was told to read up on tropical diseases, "trending" non-communicable dieases and also general question on the Minitry of Health (KKM), trending issues (general and health related) in the country and also the Ministry of Health hierarchy. The weeks following the first I spent more on helping around the house and also baking. When I got the call I started getting the jitters and I went all out remembering names and their titles, the motto, vision and mission of the Ministry of Heath and many more. As the day approached the nerves was just too much that I could not do anything anymore and felt like there was something I am missing out or haven't read on. So what I did then was decide on the fine details like making sure I had all the documents needed (original and photocopied) and what I was going to wear-I decided to wear a purplish blue baju kurung (a traditional Malay costume), with my black cot shoes, plain earring, nude peach lipstick and some mascara (had a lot off time that I even decided on my make up too). Speaking of checking on my documents(original and photocopied and verified), what you would need for you houseman interview (which can also be found on the SPA website) are:
  • Birth Certificate
  • Identification Card
  • SPM certificate
  • MMC certificate (the orange coloured certificate you get from MMC with your temporary application number)
  • Medical certificate
  • Final transcript
  • Letter from the dean stating you have completed you studies (usually for those who are done but have not gotten their certificate and transcript)
  • Resume printed out (which was initially filled in before on the SPA website)
  • SPA slip printed (also from the SPA website after completing the resume)
  • 2 passport sized fotos
Take note that the original and photocopied & verified (the resume and slip does not have to be verified) copies of the documents are needed When Friday came along me and my friends were they around 7-ish. We went up to the 6th floor and had to fill in a form and stick our picture on it (only the foreign graduates need to fill up this form. Then we waited to be briefed. There were so many people there but not all of them were there for the UD41 interview. The interview for local and foreign graduates were done in separate rooms. For the foreign graduates we entered in a group of 4. Me and a friend of mine (M) were in the 2nd round and another friend (J) was in the 3rd. The first round went in around 8.15am and took 45 mins. The wait for us was hell. But only later did we find out that there was nothing to fret. 

When we went in we were asked to introduce ourselves and our IC number. There were 2 interviewers who were very nice: one from SPA and a doctor as the KKM representative. We were told we can speak either in English or Malay. We were asked: about wanting to be a doctor, problems faced when working in a group, typhoid (patho, symptoms, treatment prevention), etc. A lot o general questions were asked which according to me was easy as it was each's own opinion. Other than that it was just advice by them on how to cope with being a houseman later on, etc. When we came out we were just laughing at how we were nearly panicking before. Then we waited for J to be done and the gave us acceptance letters (we all passed the interview. We were told that nobody fails these interviews unless if the person has an attitude) and were told to wait for the placement letter. Then we took pictures, grabbed lunch and headed back. Hope that helps those of you who are preparing for the interview. Goodluck! 
Till next time. Toodle-oo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment